Becoming an entrepreneur means taking risks and seizing opportunities while creating your own business. An entrepreneur organizes, operates and assumes the risk for business ventures, all the while striving to minimize risk and maximize the potential of their business. They also must be able to successfully manage and operate every aspect of their business, including but not limited to advertising & marketing, accounting, hiring and firing personnel and production of goods and services. In short, an entrepreneur must have well-rounded knowledge of all aspects of business. While a new small business can start from scratch, entrepreneurs also have the option of improving on current products or services, or finding a new way to market existing products. To succeed as an entrepreneur, an individual must be motivated, innovative, responsible, a risk-taker and self-disciplined.
Entrepreneurs can work in a variety of industries whether it is creating their own business or working within an existing organization or startup. Entrepreneurs demonstrate a versatile skillset which can transferable to many careers.
|Insurance Sales Agent||9%-13%||$38,790|
|Public Relations Specialist||5%-8%||$52,530|
|Real Estate Agent||2%-4%||$46,940|
Average median salary should not be expected for an entry level position.
Connect to Internship Opportunities
- Anderson Career Services Blog
- LinkedIn Student & Recent Graduate Jobs
- New Mexico State Personnel Office
- USA Jobs
Local and National Employers of Entrepreneurial Graduates from Anderson
Professional Organizations/Student Organizations
- American Indian Business Association
- Collegiate Entrepreneurs Organization
- Graduate and Professional Student Association
- American Small Business Association
- Small Business Council of America
- US Small Business Administration
Connect with Anderson Alumni
Entrepreneurship Faculty Advisor
- Raj Mahto
- Creative Enterprise Endowed Professor
Associate Professor of Entrepreneurship
- Phone: (505) 277-2423
- Office: ASM 2154
- Download Vita...
- More Information & Office Hours »
- Bio: Dr. Mahto received his Ph.D. in Strategic Management from the University of Memphis in 2006 and joined the faculty at UNM in 2008. Professor Mahto has published in a number of Management journals, such as Journal of Applied Psychology, Journal of Entrepreneurship, Journal of Small Business Management, Journal of Family and Economics Issues, Family Business Review, Entrepreneurship, Theory and Practice, among other publications.
Professor Mahto is in the Editorial Board of Family Business Review and International Entrepreneurship & Management Journal. He is also the Associate Editor of the Journal of Small Business Strategy. Professor Mahto also served as an ad hoc Reviewer for a number of journals such as Family Business Review and Technovation.
He teaches a number of entrepreneurship courses, including New Venture Creation, Family Business, Freshman Entrepreneurship, and Managing and Operating Small, Growing Business.